Connor Dante
Hello everyone, my name is Connor Dante and I am a rising senior at the Roxbury Latin school. I would say what I enjoy most in my life is my athletic activities. During my career at Roxbury Latin(7th grade-present), I wrestled for 3 years, played baseball for 4 years and I have played football for 5 and plan on playing again this fall. I have been part of the varsity for 3 years including this upcoming season. This spring I switched from baseball to Varsity track and Field as a thrower. I throw Javelin, discus and shot put. However my best two are Javelin and discus. This past season I placed 6th in our leagues championships in discus and 3rd for Javelin at the new balance nationals in North Carolina. As far as my future goes, I plan on attending college and possible enrolling in an ROTC program. I also wish to pursue a career in the medical field by majoring in biology. Of course nothing is set in stone yet but that is my plan thus far.
This summer I have been placed in the Brigham and Women's visual attention lab with Dr. Jeremy Wolfe and Dr. Krista Ehinger. My lab's research focuses on a variety of things relevant to visual perception and how we process all the visual information we receive.
The project I have been assigned to this summer also pertains to visual attention and some other key concepts in the visual perception world. My job was to help construct and run an experiment that tests how people give names to images. To test this we ran an online experiment that was run on mechanical turk, which is a website designed for easy access and allows people to complete various experiments online and receive money in return for their efforts. First, lets talk about how we made the experiment. To start off, we went to google to find 100 images that followed a very specific set of criteria. Each image must be larger than 1800 pixels wide X 2400 tall, each must be a panoramic view of a space, each must contain a central object that could the focus of a zoom and each image must contain a different central object. Once we gathered all of the images, we ran each through a code in Matlab, which is a computer program. What Matlab did was create a total of 9 different versions of each individual image. Each progressive version of the image was slightly more zoomed in on the object than the last. This gave us a total of 900 images. The actual experiment consisted of 100 images, a random version of each image. This ensures that no two subjects receive the same set of 100 images. The task was to label the image by a scene name or an object name according to how the individual interprets the image. For example, when presented with a picture a person could type in "park" or "park bench" as their response.